Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Grow in Understanding God

“Aslan,” said Lucy, “you’re bigger.”
“That is because you are older, little one,” answered he.
“Not because you are?”
“I am not. But every year you grow, you will find me bigger.”

When I read this dialog in C.S. Lewis’ Prince Caspian, it made me smile at the simplicity of explaining the principle that God and Christ are unchanging (the same yesterday, today and tomorrow), and that as we grow in spiritual knowledge and experience, we realize the depth and breadth of their love, power, and mercy. The more we know of them (the more we grow), the more majestic (or “bigger”) they seem to us.

In the Mormon musical "Saturday's Warrior," a young woman explains to her friend that he shouldn't expect to understand everything at once, that it takes time and effort to understand the gospel plan "Line Upon Line."




2 Nephi 28:30 (Book of Mormon)
“For behold, thus saith the Lord God: I will give unto the children of men line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little and there a little; and blessed are those who hearken unto my precepts, and lend an ear unto my counsel, for they shall learn wisdom; for unto him that receiveth I will give more; and from them that shall say, We have enough, from them shall be taken away even that which they have.” (See also, Isaiah 28:10.)

No comments:

Post a Comment